}

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Picture Day July 19, 1913



I don't remember where I found this photograph, but I'm willing to be it was the swap meet. The series is interesting. It tells a story of this boys experience. First, he's just sitting there, waiting for instructions. Then someone tells him to smile. Someone to his right gets his attention, perhaps mentioning that they should put the hat on him. In the next frame he's wearing this floppy white hat and being very good sport about it. Finally, he's looking over to someone with an expression that says, "Ok...enough is enough."

mp boy back copy

The back is stamped "The Ernst Studio." I can't make out everything that the stamp says, nor can I make out the name in pencil. The last name appears to be Garber. The Ernst Studio was open in Newport, Rhode Island from 1906-1965. You can read more about The Ernst Studio here. Was this photograph taken at that Ernst Studio? Of course, I can't be certain, but it's possible.

No comments: