}

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions


I'm always surprised at how many people don't remember Mazzy Star. I've started several conversations that went like this:

Remember Mazzy Star?

No.

They sang that song "Fade into You."

I..uh..don't... (shrugging)...

(At this point I sing or hum a bit of the chorus) "Fade into you..." etc.

That sounds familiar.

After this point I usually try to talk about Mazzy Star singer Hope Sandoval's 2001 album "Bavarian Fruit Bread" which is awesome. She recorded it with her band Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions. The band also features drummer Colm O' Ciosoig from My Bloody Valentine.

This conversation usually goes awkwardly, as my audience's ignorance of Sandoval-related-things trumps my enthusiasm. Perhaps I've always thought Mazzy Star were a bigger deal than they were. Oh well.

Now, eight years later, Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions finally have a new album, "Through the Devil Softly." It is, predictably, great. I can't wait to begin some failing conversations about it.

This song, "Blanchard," is from the album.

2 comments:

Katie Filbeck said...

no way, I love Mazzy Star. I think So Cal still has love for them because I know Emily likes them too.

Eric said...

Right on. I always thought they were terrific, but people back home and out here never seem to remember them.