}

Friday, January 7, 2011

Campfire Photography



I almost always lug a digital SLR camera with me when I go backpacking. I'll sacrifice other items, like a pillow, extra clothes, or a backpacking chair, to have my camera with me. I'm not a terrific photographer and my camera isn't anything to write home about; it's an older Nikon D50 with an aftermarket Tamron lens, best a grad student stipend can buy. There's probably a credit-card-thin point and shoot camera out there capable of producing great results in the right hands, but I like the control I get with the SLR.

I spent a couple of days out in the desert this week and I'll share some more photos from that hike later, but first I thought I'd put up some campfire shots. I love the light you get from a campfire and I've taken night photos by campfire light before, but the other night I decided to turn the camera on the fire itself. I thought some of the results were worth sharing, so here they are...
campfire 3
campfire 2
campfire 1
campfire closeup

P.S. - If you click on the photos it will take you to Flickr. Click on the little magnifying glass icon on the upper right between the "Newer" and "Older" arrows. That will take you to the lightbox. Kind of a lot of work, I know, but these look better viewed there!

No comments: