}

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Kitchen Witchcraft Vol. 1


I have to confess that I didn't can all that great looking food in the picture, but I have canned before and I will again. It's a lot of fun.

What I thought I might do is share a couple of recipes we've been making a lot lately. Erin and I love to eat and we're always on the hunt for new things. I don't want to post long or complicated recipes, just some quick and interesting things that have impressed us, like this smoothie recipe I put up awhile back.

Ok, here goes.

#1. Bilberry/Hibiscus Iced Yerba Mate

I made this one up myself.

3 yerba mate bags/ 2 tablespoons of loose mate
1 tablespoon hibiscus flowers
1/2 tablespoon dried bilberries
1 liter of cold water

I do a cold infusion and usually leave the mate to steep overnight in the fridge. I just put in the bags and I put the herbs in a tea ball and put it all in. I take the bags and ball out the next day. I've experimented with adding citrus, vanilla, and mint and they've all been pretty good.

Bilberries are supposed to improve night vision and hibiscus allegedly lowers your blood pressure. Yerba Mate is full of antioxidants.

#2 Overnight Oatmeal

We've found a couple of recipes for overnight oatmeal online and they've been good. Erin likes hers made to this recipe. I added some other good stuff. You just mix it all up in a bowl before you go to bed and eat it in the morning. Cold oatmeal might not be for everyone, but we like it.

1/3 cup oats
1/2 banana
2 tablespoons chia seeds
3/4 cup soy or almond milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon chopped pecans or almond butter
a shitload of fresh blueberries

Chia seeds are full of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. Everything else is pretty good for you too. It gives you a lot of energy.

Enjoy!

No comments: